Let Us Handle The Procedure For You
Legally changing your name is a procedure best handled by an attorney. You do not want to make an innocent mistake that could harm your chances of changing your name.
Whether you need to change your name following a divorce or separation, or you want to change a child’s name, the experienced divorce and family law lawyers at Billick Rogers Family Law can help. Located in Concord, we help people in Cabarrus County, North Carolina.
Contact our Concord office to arrange a consultation, or brief us on your situation here.
Call For Action! 704-788-3262
Minor Name Change
You can change your child’s name if you have his or her birth certificate and if both parents consent. In cases involving an estranged parent, you would need to locate the absent parent and obtain his or her consent. If the other parent is deceased, it is best to be able to provide a death certificate. The other parent does not have to be included as a Petitioner, but they must sign a consent allowing you to Petition for the Name Change unless their parental rights have been terminated. A child who is between the ages of 16 and 18 years will have to adhere to the qualifications for a minor name change AND an adult name change. Requirements for a Minor Name Change are:
- You must file in the County where the child is a resident, in this case and in order to use our firm, that would be Cabarrus County;
- A certified copy of the child’s birth certificate issued within the last six (6) months;
- The name of the minor must not have been changed before;
- An explanation as to the reason you wish the minor’s name to be changed;
- Must have either a) participation from both parents as Petitioners, b) list one parent as the Petitioner and be able to obtain a notarized Affidavit of Parental Consent by the other parent, or c) be able to prove abandonment or already have been granted a termination of their parental rights; and
- Petitioner(s) must be able to sign an Affidavit that they have no outstanding tax or child support obligations.
Adult Name Change
An adult must be fingerprinted and have background checks completed through the FBI and SBI before an Adult Name Change can begin.
Once an adult has received those background check results, we are able to begin the name change process. Requirements for an Adult Name Change are:
- You must file in the County where you are a resident, in this case and in order to use our firm, that would be Cabarrus County;
- A certified copy of your birth certificated issued within the last six (6) months;
- Your name must not have been changed before, other than by marriage; however, you may file to revert to your original legal name if you have done a name change in the past;
- An explanation as to the reason you wish your name to be changed;
- You must have two (2) Affidavits of good character signed by witnesses that reside in Cabarrus County, be over the age of 18, not related to you by blood nor marriage and who are willing to swear in a notarized Affidavit that they have known you for at least one (1) year and know you to be a good person; and
- Petitioner must be able to sign an Affidavit that you have no outstanding tax or child support obligations.
Contact Our Office About Changing Your Name in Concord, North Carolina
For a confidential consultation, please contact us online or call 704-788-3262.