77 McCachern Blvd. SE
Suite #3
Concord, NC 28025
Cabarrus County

  1. Home
  2.  » Adoption


Paving The Way For Formal Adoption

Billick Family Law can help if you are seeking to formally adopt a stepchild, or if you are a grandparent or relative seeking to take over for a parent who is absent or unfit. These can be straightforward or hotly contested proceedings.

Contact our Concord, North Carolina, lawyer, Amber Billick, to discuss your adoption scenario. Our family law attorneys offer knowledgeable advice and representation, and consideration for the sensitive nature of these situations. Billick Family Law practices in Cabarrus, Rowan, Stanly and surrounding counties.

Contact our Concord lawyer to arrange a consultation, or brief us on your situation here.

Call For Action! 704-490-4054

Stepparent Adoption

In order to adopt a stepson or stepdaughter, the parental rights of the birth parent must be terminated. In many cases, the absent parent will waive those rights and our role is to make sure the paperwork is in order so that our client can become the legal parent and guardian.

If the birth parent objects, we will guide you through proceedings for termination of parental rights. We will prepare evidence that the parent is unable to care for the child because of personal problems (substance abuse, prison, mental illness) or a threat to the well-being and best interests of the child (neglect, child abuse, criminal activity). We also prepare you and your family for dealing with this unpleasant but necessary process.

Grandparents’ Rights To Visitation, Custody Or Adoption

In North Carolina, grandparents, aunts and uncles, adult siblings or other relatives have standing to request access to a child in need of care. If the natural parents died, abandoned the child, or are deemed legally unfit, we help family members step in to avoid the child’s placement outside the family by a state agency.

The court can award visitation rights to monitor the child’s well-being, or award custody to the grandparents or relatives if the child is not safe in the parent’s care. These are especially sensitive situations. Many times, the parent has an addiction, abusive relationship, jail sentence or other dysfunction, but hopes to regain custody in the future. We work closely with families to find a solution, but we are prepared to go to court to protect the child, including actions for termination of rights and adoption.

Billick Family Law extends a confidential consultation to discuss your rights and options in adoption. Our goal is make the transition as trouble-free as possible for you and the child. Call us today at 704-490-4054 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.